Post Schedule

Weekly Workout Videos - Fresh healthy recipes - Inspiration, motivation and health tips - and it's all FREE!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Recipe -Chipotle/ Cafe Rio Burritos

Here is the Healthy Weekly Recipe and this is one of my absolute favorites, so give it a try!

I was originally introduced to this recipe in all of it's sugaray glory and though it was good I knew the recipe could be better in terms of health. So after experimenting every time to find the right mixture of health and flavor I finally came to the conclusion listed below. I love this recipe and make it often because the leftovers provide a quick, healthy, delicious lunch at my finger tips and the fact that you can mix and match what you put in your burrito drives this recipe home because each day you can change it up a bit. This might seem like a lot of work but like I said if I do it big one night it feeds my entire family again another night and I can have lunch for the week so one night of work equals many easy meals after that. Also you use a lot of the same ingredients in each of the dishes so that is helpful.
ENJOY!

The Meat:
Pork Tenderloin (however many pounds you need however over 2 lbs and you will need more of the sauce, you can also use chicken or beef)
2 cups organic beef broth ( I use the Organic Better than Bouillon reduced sodium from Costco, I also get the chicken one, these are AWESOME and a must in my kitchen)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
2 TLB apple cider vinegar or Lemon Juice (this helps tenderize and penetrate the meat with flavor) 
1 medium onion sliced

Mix ingredients, you can either marinate the meat in this over night (minus the sliced onion) and then put the meat and mixture in the Crockpot in the morning (add the onion here) or you can mix it all and cook it same day. If I remember I like to marinate it in the firidge overnight but it works just fine if you forget and just put in all in the crock the morning of.
Cook in crockpot on low for 8 hours, you want the meat to be falling apart so it may be different for your crockpot.

The Beans: ( I double this for my family and for plenty of leftovers)
1 can Black Beans or Pinto ( I like black but my kids sometimes prefer pinto) rise and drain
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 can tomatoes sauce plus 1/2 can water ( I use organic sauce with no sugar added you can also use tomato juice and just do 1 1/2 cups of juice)

Simmer on medium low in a pot on the stove until liquid becomes thick and beans are heated through, add 2 TBLS chopped cilantro in the end and stir

The Rice or Quinoa ( I use organic brown rice or Quinoa however you can even use the Instant brown rice for this)
1 cup Brown Rice (or Quinoa)
2 cups chicken broth (once again I use the organic better than bouillon so I mix 2 tsps with 2 cups water)
Juice of  1/2 lime
2 tsp garlic powder
Place in Rice cooker or follow basic rice cooking instructions for stove top
When the rice is done fluff and add this mixture to it
Juice of 1/2 lime and 3 TLBS of fresh chopped cilantro at this point you can add 1 tsp of sugar to the lime cilantro mixture and it will make it slightly sweet, however I negate the sugar cause I just don't feel like it needs it.

***Slice some green and red bell peppers as well as an onion and with some of the juice from the pork roast in the crock pot, saute the vegetables in a pan until tender.

***Serve all this with whole wheat tortilla's and for my kids I add cheese and sour cream however I refrain from these extra items because of the extra calories. I also always have a jar of my families homemade salsa on hand so I have included this easy but delicious recipe below, seriously amazing slasa! I have been doing it for years and my mother has been doing this recipe for even longer.

Bonus Recipe -super easy Salsa 
Collingwood Family Salsa

2 cans diced tomato with mild green chili, drained( Rotel is a good brand for this but I have recently gone organic)
1/2 Large onion or 1 small to medium onion sliced
2 tsps minced garlic
1/2 to 1 cup of fresh cilantro ( it just depends on how much you like, I like a lot)
1 TBLS white vinegar (this helps preserve it)
1/2 to 1 whole (depending on size) Red Bell pepper (this is optional but when I add it I find it brings a sweetness to the salsa that is refreshing sometimes and makes it less spicy so my children like it more as well)
Put all ingredients in a blender and pulse until salsa is blended. This salsa is not chunky it is more of the authentic style and is a smother texture but oh so delicious. I use this in lots of things including salad dressing for low calorie dressings ( I will give those recipes another time). So I usually have a jar of this in my fridge.




2 comments:

  1. Actually your mom makes this salsa with cider vinegar & 2-3 dried japan chiles, seeded & crushed, which makes it medium-hot & very UN-kid friendly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm yes too spicy that way for the kiddos hence the changes from Granny's recipe, the Rotel canned tomatoes with green chilies adds enough spice for the children and for me! lol

    ReplyDelete