Post Schedule

Weekly Workout Videos - Fresh healthy recipes - Inspiration, motivation and health tips - and it's all FREE!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recipe - Veggie Burgers

A couple weeks ago my sister emailed me with this recipe and also called me saying I had to try these veggie burgers because they were awesome. I had previously failed big time on some veggie burgers (they tasted like cardboard and fell apart on the grill) and I had pretty much given up the idea of a protein packed healthy veggie burger. Well my sister came to my rescue and this recipe is absolutely delicious and packed full of good nutrition. For those of you out there who aren't veggie burger fans you owe it to yourself to at least try this because this might be the burger that changes your taste buds! And of course a key ingredient in these is quinoa, no surprise there, ENJOY!




Southwest Veggie Mini Burgers:

  • 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • One 15-ounce can black beans, drained (or whatever beans you like and are used to)
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoons kosher salt (I didn't use quite this much)
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
  • Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the saucepan and spread out onto a baking sheet. Cool completely.
  • Puree half the can of black beans in the bowl of a food processor. Add  the puree to 1/4 cup of the cooked quinoa, the remaining whole beans, corn, panko, cilantro, salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic, pepper and lemon juice in a large bowl. Mix until the mixture comes together. Form 8 small patties, about 2-ounces each. Refrigerate the patties for 15 minutes to firm up.
    Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes per side.

    For a special dressing or spread to go on your burger mix 1 pkg of chipotle ranch with greek yogurt. OR I used my homemade salsa found here, that I always have on hand and mixed it with greek yogurt and it melted in my mouth!

    These were so yummy I can't wait to have another!

5 comments:

  1. These are great. I did things a little different and encountered a small issue. First off, I cooked them up on the pancake griddle, which made them healthier because I wasn't frying them. Her is where the problem presented, The patties wanted to fall apart. I was able to salvage them, but next time I think I will reserve some of the blackbean "juice" in use it as a binder at the end.. Havent tried it yet, but I am hopeful it works. That said, flavor was great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are cooking 1/2 cup of quinoa then why do you only add 1/4 cup

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you do with the rest of the Quinoa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you do with the rest of the Quinoa?

    ReplyDelete